Pets are like humans in many ways. They react to chemicals just like we do and the problem is often aggravated because it is practically impossible to train pets to keep a safe distance from harmful cleaners, especially from floor cleaners. But not everything is lost if you use domestic cleaning supplies that are made to be pet safe. Pet-friendly floor cleaners are available from many floor cleaner manufacturers in India.
Not all domestic cleaning supplies for floor cleaning are made the same way. Within the product range are specialty cleaners for the wooden floor (including separate pet safe hardwood floor cleaners, pet safe floor cleaners for laminate floors) and carpet-friendly floor cleaners.
Qualities of a Pet-Safe Floor Cleaner
A great pet-safe floor cleaner is one that does not compromise on effectiveness for the sake of making it pet safe. Here is what you should expect in the right kind of pet-safe floor cleaners.
- The cleaners should not contain any toxic material. Toxic materials can easily enter your pet’s digestive system and lead to disorders. Check the cleaner’s chemical composition and don’t also forget to read the using-instructions that are printed in fine letters.
- Check whether the cleaner is specially made for the kind of floor on which you are about to use. What is essentially a great cleaner for a vinyl floor is not necessarily a great one for carpet. If you have wooden flooring in your home, then choose the one that is certified for this purpose.
- The floor cleaner should not compromise on effectiveness to make it safe. What purpose will a cleaner serve if it is incapable of removing grit, grease, and dirt? The right cleaner should be easily removable and should not leave any trace of it on the floor. If it does, the chances of the residue entering your pet’s digestive system will be high resulting in sickness.
- The cleaner must have a pleasant smell and be capable of serving multiple purposes – should deodorize, remove stain thoroughly and sanitize. To buy separate cleaners for each purpose is not a practical proposition and should, therefore, be avoided.
- The cleaner should be convenient and easy to use. It is always a great idea to choose cleaners that come in handy sizes that can be easily handled. However, you can consider ordering bulk quantities if it gives you some price advantage. To make handling easier, you can transfer the content into a small container and start to use it conveniently.
Safety Procedures in Storing and Using Floor Cleaners
Though quality companies that manufacture floor-cleaners use only approved chemicals in their products, they are not edible. A safe cleaner will provide protection even when it is inhaled or accidentally enters the body but only in small diluted conditions. It is therefore important to follow a few safety procedures.
Here are few things that every household must follow when storing or using pet cleaners for floors.
- Keep the cleaner away from reach of children and pets. Attractive packing can easily lure pets to bite or even consume it. The right place to store is a tall shelf where it can be reached only by an adult in the family. Expended containers must be disposed safely so that it is not found by children or pets.
- When you clean the floor, keep your pets away from the spot. Pets may get attracted by the scent of the cleaners and may make a mess of the floor. They are likely to lick and experiment and become sick. Let the pets in only after the cleaning is completed and the floor has dried completely.
- Use only recommended quantities of the cleaner. Most often, you may have to dilute the cleaner in a bucket full of water. The right quantity to use can be found in the user manual itself. Read instructions thoroughly before you start to use the product.