Maintaining hygiene is now a top priority not only in homes but also in public places. When we speak about hygiene the first thing that strikes our mind is toilets. But maintaining hygiene is more about cleaning problems related to laundry, bathing, floors, surroundings, cars, pets, dish & cutlery, furniture, computers, public transport and virtually anything with which we come into contact with.
It should, therefore, be clear that cleaning should be the top priority for many of us and no one cleaning product can serve all cleaning purposes entirely. Though there are endless varieties of products available in the market, the basic ingredient that constitutes a cleaning product is either soap or detergent. However, the manufacture of cleaning products has become a complex process with more specialised products being introduced on a regular basis with added materials that enhance the cleaning power.
Domestic Cleaning Supplies – Current Scenario
The earliest of domestic cleaning supplies form factor used to be solid cakes or powders, but this is changing in favor of liquid. It is worthwhile to know that liquid detergents pack more cleaning power and is amenable to the concentration at higher levels. This is a big advantage to consumers because it cuts costs and potentially puts the quantity required for cleaning in the hands of the users. Liquid detergent is not only convenient to use but also solves many health-related cleaning problems.
The domestic cleaning supplies business is now becoming more and more specialised unlike yesteryears when soaps and detergents ruled firmly in the market. Thus today we have separate cleaning solutions for hand washing, face washing, hair washing, bathing, dishwashing, pet care and laundry and so on. The products that one can see in retail shops and online marketplaces are almost endless. This is a big advantage for consumers and manufacturers alike.
Here are a few specialised cleaning products commonly found in retail stores.
- Domestic hand wash – Hand wash are liquid cleaning solutions that are mostly used to wash the hands. These are used in restaurants, homes, airports.
- Bulk dishwashing liquid – this is a specialized solution for washing utensils at home and restaurants and generally help to save time when used in automated dishwashing machines. In India, dishwashing machines are not common, but restaurants use them extensively. Restaurants are the main users of bulk dishwashing liquid and come in a concentrated liquid form factor.
- Hospital hand washes – Hospital hand wash though is a soap or detergent has some added ingredients that normal household don’t generally need. The advantage of a specialised hospital hand wash is that it contains anti-bacterial and anti-fungicide agents that help to kill diseases causing germs and bacteria. Hospitals generally prefer it.
- Liquid laundry solutions – this is a common product that you will never miss in a retail store. The market for liquid laundry solution is on the rise as more household are turning towards machine laundering. Within this segment are also available other subcategories such as for front-loading machines and top-loading machines. The choice is really yours. The market for laundry cleaning solutions is really extensive and is also highly specialised with special products earmarked for cotton, wool and synthetic clothes.
Shopping for Cleaning Products
With so many brands and multiple genres competing in the domestic cleaning supplies segment each claiming to be better than its competition; there is every reason to feel lost in the wild. As a consumer, there is some experimenting that you have to do to check manufacturers’ claims and whether it works appropriately for your needs. The best way out for consumers is to try a small sample and evaluate it. Here is what you need to do:
- Buy only small packs and then switch to a larger one if you are fully satisfied.
- Read instructions carefully before you buy – there is every possibility that the negative impact of a product is hidden in fine print.
- Compare products before you order and calculate the price advantage/disadvantage.